For the month of September our schoolwide theme was our school as a welcoming place where every student feels like he or she belongs. In our morning announcements and an upcoming school assembly, we remind students to welcome others and act and speak in safe, respectful, and responsible ways. In addition we’ll be reminding students of our school rules.
- Be Respectful
- Be Responsible
- Be Safe
After MEA break in October, we’ll also begin teaching the Second Step program, which includes lessons that support these behaviors.
Support your child at home in welcoming others and acting and speaking in safe, respectful, and responsible ways. Please tell your child’s teacher if you have questions about specific ways you can help your child with these behaviors at home.
In closing I wanted to also share a tech tidbit. The following game website, and soon to be released app, is connected with Second Step and available for use at home as well. You’ll learn more about Second Step throughout the course of the school year yet here’s an additional resource now that I’ve just learned about:
- Park Pals: http://parkpalsgame.org/ FREE
- From Second Step company (so not for profit, and free).
- Apps for iPads are coming soon too.
- Colorful, kid-friendly world for ages 7–9.
- Spirited sound effects and custom songs
- No external links, advertising, or in-app purchases.
- Privacy protected; no child data collected.
- Single-player, safe environment to practice skills that help prevent bullying
Principal ~ Murphy Elementary School