A version of this letter went home on 2/7/18.
February 12, 2018
Dear 4th Grade Families,
Last year Murphy Elementary School brought our 4th grade students on a trip to The Science Museum of Minnesota in St. Paul (sixth year in a row). On this trip we also made stops at the Como Park Zoo, Edinborough Park, and the Minnesota State Capitol. Our students had a full day of learning and had a blast! We are happy to announce that we will be offering a similar trip to this year’s 4th grade students!
We’re planning this year’s trip for Friday, May 25th and will schedule stops at the Museum, Park, Zoo, and State Capitol. As we get closer to May, we will be sending out more information. With that said, we did want to get some details out to help you to plan accordingly.
- The Science Museum will not be hosting school, scout, or family camp-ins in 2018. They had a change in director.
- Since we will not be able to stay over night we are adding a second field trip to an outdoor environmental learning center. That date is yet to be set (in May) but we will share more info when we have it.
- Please complete the School District 318 Field Trip Parent Permission slip (attached). Please return this either way, if you do give permission please fill it out and send it back. If you do not please write that on the sheet and send it back. We will send more slips later in the Spring, this however, is a required slip to follow district policy and we prefer to start working on and planning now for May.
- We will need chaperones for this trip. Each chaperone will be asked to pay $50 in advance to help cover their trip costs. Space will be limited to how many seats we have on the buses. Chaperones will be required to fill out a Chaperone Packet and an ISD 318 Volunteer Background Check Packet (these are available in the main office). If you are interested in chaperoning, contact Mr. Martinson directly or stop in and grab the necessary paperwork. We may not be able to take all those that would like to chaperone.
- The field trip cost per student for these trips is approximately $100. We are currently gathering grant funds to help defer these costs. We anticipate that we will again be asking for donations from each student of $30 to go toward the cost of this trip. Donations can be made a little at a time or in full. Check donations can be made payable to ISD #318. Donations should be turned in directly to your child’s teacher. It’s hopefully a small offering for a huge experience they will remember for years to come. If this creates a hardship for your family, please contact Mr. Martinson directly and we will figure something out.
More information will come home between now and May. Thank you again for taking the time to read this!
Mrs. Rachel Bruemmer ~ Mr. Bryan Fideldy ~ Mr. Aaron Locken ~ Mr. Sean Martinson (218-259-3129)
- The Science Museum of Minnesota: http://www.smm.org/
- Como Park Zoo and Conservatory: http://www.comozooconservatory.org/
- Edinborough Park: http://edinamn.gov/index.php?section=edinborough-park
- Minnesota State Capitol: http://education.mnhs.org/field-trips/minnesota-state-capitol